h265 how to get smaller sized vids and girlpacks

Moderator: ok666

stheweb
Scoreville-User

h265 how to get smaller sized vids and girlpacks

Post by stheweb »

what you need:

Program avidemux for cutting you vid (or any other Program you use)
Program mediacoder for converting in h265
Latest Version of VLC installed.

At the moment I only use 720P or higher for my girlpacks.
The Filesize is very big if I cut the vids with Program "avidemux".

Then I tested the last days the new Codec h265/x265. The new Codec is able to half the size of a vid File with the same Quality.

For this I checked several Programs but only with one Program it is possible to get results playable with VLC (Scoreville). The Program is mediacoder.

On mediacoder you can set Video Format to h265 and in the right window the preset to "very fast". In the Container Tab you can set the Container to mp4 or mkv - I choose mp4.
The Converter is very slow at the moment (15 seconds File Needs 2 Minutes to convert) - but the result is great !

My avi Files are only half size of the Original File, my .wmv Files are only 25 % Filesize. All are playable with Scoreville.

The h265 codec to encode is very new - so in newer Version it will sure be much faster to encode.

The only Problem I have is: If I Change camera View with avidemux - then it´s not possible to convert to h265.
I almost never Change Camera view - so most times no Problem :)

I hope you try it out yourself an post the results :)
nikosk
Scoreville-User

Re: h265 how to get smaller sized vids and girlpacks

Post by nikosk »

Yes, h265 can be REALLY efficient.
The article in Wikipedia has some pretty impressive numbers (HEVC is essentially h265):
The HEVC Main Profile (MP) has been compared in coding efficiency to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (HP), MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile (ASP), H.263 High Latency Profile (HLP), and H.262/MPEG-2 Main Profile (MP). The video encoding was done for entertainment applications and twelve different bitrates were made for the nine video test sequences with a HM-8.0 HEVC encoder being used. Of the nine video test sequences five were at HD resolution while four were at WVGA (800x480) resolution. The bit rate reductions for HEVC were determined based on PSNR with HEVC having a bit rate reduction of 35.4%compared to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP, 63.7% compared to MPEG-4 ASP, 65.1% compared to H.263 HLP, and 70.8% compared to H.262/MPEG-2 MP.

HEVC MP has also been compared to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP for subjective video quality. The video encoding was done for entertainment applications and four different bitrates were made for nine video test sequences with a HM-5.0 HEVC encoder being used. The subjective assessment was done at an earlier date than the PSNR comparison and so it used an earlier version of the HEVC encoder that had slightly lower performance. The bit rate reductions were determined based on subjective assessment using mean opinion score values. The overall subjective bitrate reduction for HEVC MP compared to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP was 49.3%
I tested it with Handbrake. The recent versions (and the nightly builds) support h265 through x265.
The main purpose of my testing, was to find how much I can lower the bitrate I use for my standard resolution.
I usually use 720x400 video with approximately 1500kbps bitrate (h264).
With h265 I could go down even to 600-800kbps without obvious loss of quality. :!:

The results were really impressive but there are 2 things I' m concerned about:
1. Compatibility: it's a very new codec. How many PCs, tablets or smartphones have the decoder installed?
2. Time: To compress a video in h265 takes 6-10 times more time than in h264. How much more CPU-intensive is the decoding process? Will old PCs, tablets or smartphones be able to play those videos without freezes or hiccups?

So, I think I'll keep waiting for a while.
4K TV will use HEVC/H.265 so we should soon have more feedback about compatibility and other potential problems. ;-)